Basic Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread
This is a delicious basic bread recipe. We use this for our everyday sandwich bread. Prep time includes rising time. Total time is 3 & 3/4 hour.
This recipe makes 4 loaves
- Proof yeast by mixing with 1Tablespoon honey and 1/4 cup warm water in a glass measuring cup.
- Set aside and allow to stand until it bubbles up - 5-10 minutes.
- If using instant yeast, skip this step and mix yeast in with dry ingredients.
- In a large mixing bowl blend together water, salt, honey, oil and vitamin C powder.
- Add 3 cups of the flour and the yeast mixture.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Add in as much of the remaining flour as you can stir in.
- Then turn out onto a board and knead for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Try not to add too much more than the 6 cups called for in the recipe.
- Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover and let rise until doubled in size.
- About 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch down, divide in half and shape into two loaves.
- Place in oiled pans, cover and let rise until doubled.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 35 to 45 minutes until golden brown.
- Turn out of pans and let cool on a rack.
You can add seeds or substitute up to 1/4th of the flour by another whole grain flour for a variation, as well.